June 8, 2010

Tokyo Fro's

2224 Fair Oaks Blvd.








As a rule I try to avoid places with alot of hype, but I felt that the second most discussed/publicised sushi restaurant in Sacramento is Tokyo Fro's, so my reviews of local places would be remiss without this location...





When I first walked in, my initial reaction was, "Where's the rest of this place?" (I actually said that) from the advertisements and commercials, I'd assumed that they had seating for a few hundred and a large stage somewhere for the concerts they promote, but I got there and although the seating area might have been 150 feet long it felt that it couldn't have been more than 20 feet wide, the "courtyard" was even smaller, much smaller, the "stage" area was not visible at all to the interior seating and hardly to the exterior seating... anyway here's the rundown-

1. Rice - 5
(excellent)

2. Sauces -4
(might have been a 3 but Fro's sells a unique desert sushi with a great raspberry sauce, high marks)

3. Combinations -3
(very good, but while most restaurants have rolls based on crab avocado and cream cheese as their bread and butter, [often to the point of ridiculousness] the person I was with asked me to help them find one of said rolls and we found only 2 on the menu [one we had ordered, the princess roll] and although they added cream cheese to a different one which had the other 2 requested items at no charge, it was a bit shocking)

4. Frying- 4
(the afore mentioned Princess roll was the most interestingly fried roll I've ever had, not the filling but the lightness of the frying was quite unique, perfect golden brown but extremely shallowly on the roll and not battered, I wish more places would fry like this)

5. Price - 3
(generally the same as everyone else more than 4/5 of rolls were between $9 and $13, however I have been told that happy hour has nearly 50% off, possibly a great deal)

6. Ascetics - 3
(very trendy but edgy to the point that it made me uncomfortable, skimpy outfits on the waitresses and strange art showing so much cleavage that it isn't even cleavage anymore and names for food items designed to push the envelope of appropriateness)

Total - 22 points or a total of 88% for a grade of B+

all in all the atmosphere made me uncomfortable to the point that I would probably not return, but I understand there are others that would find the gimmicks wonderful and say that I am old and boring, perhaps if I were in the area at happy hour I would do take out, oh and the rice crispy roll was really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment