June 5, 2010

Umeko Buffet (Japanese Seafood and Sushi)

8353 Folsom Blvd.

Sacramento, CA 95826

http://www.umekobuffet.com/



I have to admit, when I got their flier in the mail, I was more intrigued with horror than hope, I wondered how this inexpensive sushi place that took over an abandoned sizzler so many years ago was still in business, but in the way one is curious about a train wreak, and remembering that that one time I ate there (nearly a decade ago) it "wasn't bad" I decided to risk my 7.99 (plus drink) and try them for lunch today, accepting that since they advertise Chinese food if the sushi were inedible, at least I could have what would be probably no worse than a mediocre meal. I was amazed and impressed to see that while the outside looks basically the same as 10 years ago, the interior was probably the most charming buffet I've been to outside of Nevada, and the food did not disappoint. Not only were the sushi offerings very impressive but many of the Chinese foods were of a premium quality, here's the breakdown of the points;



1. Rice - 4 points
(the right mild vinegar tang, could have been a little sweeter)

2. Sauce - 4 points
(particularly because they had a delicious wasabi mayonnaise, not too strong but greatly enhanced the rolls that also had the sweet sauce)

3. Combinations - 3 points
(while I was there I saw no less than 8 distinct rolls and 3 nigiri; salmon, yellow and white tuna, though I did not enjoy the spicy tuna, [I usually don't] I could see that the spicy tuna rolls were quite popular)

4. Frying - 4 points
(two of the roll options were fried and rather good, not too done, soggy or tasting of old oil)

5. Cost - 4 points
(with the price of all you can eat for [including the drink] under $10, this price is untouchable, considering 1 roll at most restaurants would be at least $10)

6. Ascetics - 3 points
(although incredibly charming, nothing will take away from the fact that it is still a buffet, still it's worth a trip just to see the juxtaposition of the exterior to the interior)

so in total 22 points or 88% this restaurant earns a solid B+ and my continued patronage

No comments:

Post a Comment