June 6, 2010

Wasabi Hibachi Grill

2745 Elk Grove Blvd. Elk Grove, CA 95758

I admit the reason I visited this location was because I had a buy one get one coupon, and happened to be at the far end of Elk Grove Blvd. but I must say when I arrived I was very impressed with the looks of the place, it was beautiful when I went in I was concerned that the cost would be staggering because 1. the restaurant is only open about 6 hours a day, and 2. the restaurant made liberal use of custom engraved tiles, probably 30 visible in the entryway alone.
I arrived at apox. 5pm (intending to get take out) there was no one at either the the register or waiting area, so I grabbed a menu I noticed with pictures of sushi on it (I did not expect it was the "extended sushi menu") it had no more than 15 roll choices, the main menu only had about 10. I understand that it is mainly a hibachi grill, but with a name like wasabi, you'd expect some sushi options, upon making my decision for 2 simple rolls, (one had fried salmon) I placed my order and proceeded to wait 30 minutes for them while I could see as I waited 2 groups of 8 people arrived without reservations (actually 3 groups of 4 and 2 of 2, sat in groups of 8) and were seated and eating with their own personal chefs before I left, despite the fact that there was only one couple at the "bar" and 2 sushi chef's behind said bar...

Anyway here's the point breakdown...

1. Rice - 2
(It had no hint of sweetness or vinegar, but was sticky)

2. Sauce - 2
(I've read other reports of great sauce at this restaurant, but I assume they must have been for the hibachi side, one of my rolls had no sauce and the other had an extremely spicy, but otherwise unpleasant sauce, and the look of mayonnaise but so little that it couldn't be tasted)

3. Combinations - 1
(most of the few offered rolls were 1 - 2 things in the roll and hot sauce or perhaps an additional 1-2 things on top, my 2 rolls were the golden salmon roll, [off menu item] which had fried salmon inside and raw salmon and avocado outside, no sauce, and the dynamite roll, which had raw scallops and cucumber inside and just spicy sauce on top, oh and it looked like mayo but wasn't enough to taste)

4. Frying - 3
(the salmon in the golden salmon roll was fried perfectly, but few fried items on menu)

5. Cost - 4
(It turns out 5 days out of the week the whole day is happy hour, and the most expensive rolls are only $7 the cheapest $3, my total tab, before tip, $8 for 2 rolls, with my coupon)

6. Ascetics -4
(as cool and trendy looking as you could hope for)

total of 16 points or 64% a grade of D

at least as far as the sushi goes, but the people eating hibachi seemed quite pleased, that may be worth going back for, but despite the price, leave the sushi alone

No comments:

Post a Comment